AGRIBUSINESS SUPPORT FACILITY (ABSF)
Agribusiness Support Facility (ABSF) has been launched jointly by Addis Ababa Chamber of Commerce and Sectoral Associations (AACCSA) and the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Addis Ababa on December 11, 2012.
Major objectives of the project are attracting foreign direct investment to Ethiopia’s agribusiness sector, increasing the number of new domestic companies in the agribusiness sector and enhancing the country’s export trade to high-value markets such as the EU, the United States and Japan.
The ABSF is a three year project supported by the Embassy and hosted by the Addis Chamber of Commerce and Sectoral Associations. “The launching of ABSF heralds one of the most important strategic interventions for enhancing the effectiveness of the agribusiness sector in Ethiopia, owing to its significance in strengthening the weakest link in the agricultural sector, agro processing and agricultural products export business chains."
The ABSF will promote agribusiness opportunities in Ethiopia to investors foremost in the Netherlands but also other countries in EU, US and Japan. Both Ethiopian and foreign agribusiness entrepreneurs will have access to its services.
Objectives of ABSF:
- Hands-on business support services
- Promote agribusiness opportunities in Ethiopia
- Support young entrepreneurs to get necessary skills and attitude
- Support specific subsectors (spice, food processing, poultry, potato and aquaculture) to organise and tackle problems
- Finally enable integration of services into AACCSA
The general guiding principles of the project are:
- Strongly customer driven.
- Focus on practical, dynamic and hands-on approach.
- Seek for contribution from client for self-sustainability after 2015.
- Clear focus on specific subsectors where the ABSF sees potential for growth.
- Focus on inclusive business models that address corporate social responsibility.
Major Components of ABSF
The activities and supports of ABSF include five major components: Information and Services Hub; Technical and Entrepreneurship Support; Subsector Platforms and Partnerships; Business to Business Linkage Support and Private Sector Association support.
- Information and Service Hub
The agribusiness information and services hub provides information on starting and running agribusiness in Ethiopia.
- Establish a front office with hands on expertise on starting and running a company in the agribusiness sector.
- Establish general online information hub for agribusiness
- Business opportunity reports and other specific information for subsectors
- Bringing together information from other sources that relate to agribusiness sectors.
- Outreach and promotion of the portal
- ABSF’s Financial and legal consultants/advisors will give referral assistance to agribusiness companies when conflicts/disagreements arise.
- Technical & Entrepreneurship Support
Technical & Entrepreneurship Support includes
- Business plan development
- Business plan competition
- Internship program connecting students to companies
- Case study development and integration in curriculum
- Facilitate guest speakers to University courses
- exploratory study on an on-farm learning programme for (assistant) farm managers
- Coaching for young entrepreneurs
- Subsector Platform &Partnerships
Platforms and Partnerships bring together wide range stakeholders of mainly private sector companies to exchange ideas, opportunities and support.
- Help establishment of new agribusiness platform in aquaculture, potato, spices , food processing and soya bean
- Facilitate existing platforms and ensure business to business discussions and presentations
- Sector specific information initially on selected subsectors to provide market and business intelligence and pilot innovations and new technologies
- Ensure use of subsector funds for business consultancy (specific studies) and piloting innovations
- Individual companies can submit business
- plans for improving chain integration, adding value and out grower scheme strengthening
- ABSF will focus both on chain actors as well as on chain enablers.
- B 2 B
The facility initially focuses on ETH-NL relations, but this can be expanded to other countries in EU and US relations at a later stage.
- Trade mission to Netherlands
- Trade mission to Ethiopia
- Support Netherlands Business association and receive more customers from them
- Support Agrifex 2014
- PSA Support
- Solving sector wide agribusiness issues through support to private sector associations projects.
- ABSF will host a fund that supports PSA’s in solving sector-wide bottlenecks
- The PSA Fund can cater for public-private partnerships in specific areas and support to Business Platforms
For more information, please contact
The ABSF Team:
Tel: 011 5542405 (office)
Mob: 0923815384/0911614378/ 0911475515
P. O. Box: 2458, Addis Ababa, Kirkos Sub city, Woreda 10, near Michew (Mexico) square